Monday, January 5, 2009

Provencal Food

I have to share this great recipe for a Provencal Omelette and Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine. Two new yummy recipes I recently tried in that new WW cook book Momentum. I made this with the quickie Herbes de Provence that I whipped up. The herbs are drying out on the radiator for the real batch.

Provencal Omelette
prep 5 cook 5 serves 2

2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1 tbs fat-free Half and half
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Herbes de Provence
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
2 slices of high-fiber bread
fresh parsley

1) Beat the eggs, egg whites, half -and- half, salt and Herbes de Provence in medium bowl until frothy.
2) Heat oil in medium pan over medium heat. Pour in egg mixture and cook until underside it set. About two minutes.
3) sprinkle the tomatoes and cheddar evenly over half of the omelette. Fold unfilled half of the omelette over the filling and cover to cook until the eggs are set, about another minute.
Slide the omelette onto a plate and sprinkle with parsley: cut in half and serve with toast.

OMG, this is really-really good! I can't wait to have more tomorrow. Hmmm, maybe again for lunch?

I will add the other recipe later today, I gotta teach some kids now...

OH MAN, not one of us wanted to do school today! "Please, pretty please one more day" the 8 year old boy begged. But you know I am a tricky Momma and they did a lot of work without even knowing that they were actually learning. Ha. A trip to the bookstore for new reading books also helped get some good stuff going. My 11 year old has a reading gift, what I mean is that she reads to me and I fall asleep, it never fails every time, I conk out. My 20 minute nap was almost an hour long. Wow, this overcast day has be moving slow.

I have the old Sundays album "Blind" playing, this is not helping move faster. But dang I am feeling cozy.

Here is that Chicken Recipe I promised.

Chicken with Mushrooms and White Wine
prep 15 min, cook 45 min, served 4

4 5 ounce skinless boneless chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt (needs more)
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1/4 pound mushrooms, halved
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp of Herbes de Provence (I used a bit more)
1 tbs of all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tbs chopped fresh parsley
4 cups hot cooked whole -wheat fettuccine

1) Cook chicken in 1 tsp of the oil on medium heat, until brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to plate.

2) Add the remaining oil and mushroom to the skillet. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion, carrot, garlic, and herbes de provence. Cook just until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes; sprinkle with the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer. Add broth and whine and bring to a boil.

3) Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the skillet. Reduce the heart and simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley, if desired. Serve with pasta.

This only got a good out of Don, the cute hubby, he said it was missing something. I think it needed more salt and better pasta. I had just used re-heated pasta, yuck. Lesson learned. But let me tell you in it's left over form it was nothing to complain about. After I eat all the chicken I added some green beans to the extra sauce and veggies and was in veggie heaven.

Enjoy.

No comments: